Water Treatment Technician or Sr. Technician
Job ID: 2265
Water Treatment Technician/Water Treatment Senior Technician
Two positions available
(Level depends on qualifications)
Salary: Water Treatment Technician: $18.65 hourly- $26.86 hourly
Water Treatment Sr. Technician: $23.67 hourly- $36.93 hourly
Full-Time/ 40 Hours /Regular Position
Location of position: Moffat Treatment Plant
Opening Date: 3/14/17 Closing Date: 3/28/17
Candidates must submit a completed Denver Water application in order to be considered. Applications will be accepted until a sufficient number are received. Resumes may be attached to the application.
Denver Water proudly serves high-quality water and promotes its efficient use to 1.4 million people in the city of Denver and many surrounding suburbs. Denver Water aspires to be the best water utility in the nation. The organization is a responsible steward of the resources, assets and natural environment entrusted to us in order to provide a high-quality water supply, a resilient and reliable system, and excellent customer service.
Denver Water’s Operations and Maintenance Division is currently seeking a qualified candidate to assist us as a Water Treatment Technician or Water Treatment Senior Technician. This will be a rotating shift position consisting of operational and maintenance duties dependent upon the capacity needs of the facility. Under direct supervision, perform a variety of jobs necessary to the operation and maintenance of water treatment plants and appurtenant structures. Use physical and chemical conventional water treatment techniques to provide an adequate supply of safe, high quality drinking water to the public. Maintain plant equipment and structures such as chemical feed/storage, piping, valves, basins, and reservoirs Operate treatment plant process laboratory. The successful candidate will be enthusiastic, have a strong desire, and a passion to assist Denver Water to become the “best water utility in the nation.”
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities over other employees.
Water Treatment Technician-Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Repair and maintain equipment such as pumps, compressors, chemical feed equipment, electric, hydraulic and pneumatic control equipment, chlorinators, valves, and gauges.
- Perform preventative maintenance, installation, fabrication, correction, and adjustment to plant equipment. Modify existing systems to accommodate plant needs.
- Determine and change plant flows to meet system demands. Operate necessary computer equipment to coordinate plant operations.
- Control quality and quantity of finished water by regulating filter operations as required. Maintain proper chemical dosages and feed equipment settings for influent and effluent plant flows.
- Perform laboratory tests including influent and effluent water turbidity, alkalinity and hardness, chlorine residual, ammonia residual, fluoride concentration, pH, odor, and coagulant dosage tests. Develop written operating procedures.
- Perform related work as required
Water Treatment Senior Technician-Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate the water treatment plant including related subsystems and instrumentation. Make visual inspections of facility equipment.
- Monitor the treatment process from the control board/computer screen and monitor various treatment processes including not limited to coagulant feed, rapid mix, flocculation, sedimentation, filtration, and disinfection.
- Monitor water quality by performing laboratory tests at various stages in the treatment process and calibrate laboratory equipment and maintain records.
- Read gauges and meters and interpret data to maintain the proper treatment process, proper distribution operation, security, and alarm status. Make flow adjustments.
- Operate pumps and valves utilizing a SCADA system. Monitor systems for alarms, make adjustments, and provide appropriate response.
- Operate mechanical equipment including pumps and motors, chemical feed pumps and systems, air compressors, and manual, electrical, and pneumatically operated valves.
- Operate chlorination equipment related to the chlorine feed system. Perform maintenance on chlorine system including chemical piping system. Participate in calibration of chemical feed equipment. Order chemicals and take delivery of bulk chemicals.
- Perform preventative and predictive maintenance on treatment plant equipment. Assist specialized trades personnel in making major and/or specialized repairs to equipment.
- Provide appropriate first response to emergencies and spills including those involving hazardous materials. Wear respirators including self-contained breathing apparatus as required.
- May assist in training new operators.
- Perform related duties as required.
Education and Experience
Water Treatment Technician and Senior Technician-High School Diploma or GED. Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
Water Treatment Technician- Minimum 1 year related work experience
Water Treatment Senior Technician- Minimum 2 years related work experience
Licenses, Registration and Certifications
Water Treatment Technician
- Water Treatment Operator must possess Water Treatment Operator C certification in 36 months.
- May require HIPPA Training
Water Treatment Senior Technician
- Must possess a Water Treatment Operator A or B Certification OR a Water Treatment Operator C Certification in conjunction with a Certified Maintenance & Reliability Technician (CMRT) Certification.
- Must have a Colorado Class R driver’s license
- May require HIPPA Training
Physical, Behavioral, and Environmental Exposures:
Water Treatment Technician Skills/Competencies
- Operation of plant equipment
- Technical writing
- Data entry
Water Treatment Senior Technician Skills/Competencies
- Operating computer equipment to coordinate plant operations
- Interpersonal relations
- Organization and time management skills
- Troubleshooting and/or repairing pumps, motors, generators, lab equipment, valves, piping and other equipment.
- The use of hand and power tools
Denver Water offers excellent benefits that include a pension plan, a 401(k) Plan with a 3 percent match, a 457 deferred compensation plan, health and dental coverage, life insurance, and vacation/holiday/sick leave. A background check will be conducted to verify information submitted on application. All employment offers are contingent on the successful completion of a post-offer physical, which includes drug and alcohol testing. A worker’s compensation background check and a strength test if required for the position.
Mr. Loren A. Robinson
1600 W. 12th Ave.
Denver, CO. 80204-3412